Wednesday, 4 December 2013

"There"




"There" is the title of my latest work, and the last for 2013.


It is acrylic on canvas 36" x 24".


It is a psycho-spiritual desert landscape with a temple which is made up of the hieroglyphs for the shrines of Upper and Lower Egypt. The landscape was very much influenced by some writing of Judith Page that she wrote me in correspondence, where she described "a black sun with a red corona".


The Temple is that of the Netjeru, and Set and Sekhmet are featured invoking entry. They are joined by Maat and Heru.


Each Netjer has a sun disk halo - as opposed to the way the sun disk is usually presented - surmounted by a  uraeus. This is a theme I have continued from earlier works.


There are two obelisks featured - referencing the sun city of Ancient Kemet - and the hieroglyphs for lightning in the sky.




The line work and smaller details of the painting created a challenge, as did the sky (which I am very happy with).





2 comments:

  1. It always amazes me when I look at your work, that you manage such rich, vibrant colors with such contrast, and how that itself seems to be what brings everything to life. It's both beautiful in its simplicity, yet incredibly deep and complex. I'm honestly not sure I've seen similar work anywhere else before. It's a great style, that is uniquely you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonderful words to read - thank you.

      I feel like my style is still developing, and this being my latest is a good indicator of where I am at and where I am headed.

      I remember reading somewhere that one of the Greek historians wrote of Ancient Egypt upon visiting there in antiquity how there was so much colour; so much he said that it was almost garish.

      I have always loved bright vibrant colours and feel that in painting the Netjeru I get to indulge that.

      Delete