Thursday, 17 October 2013

Djoser Ab

Djoser Ab
My latest painting is Djoser Ab.


The conception for the piece occurred in meditation, and the choice of color - and in fact a major inspiration for the piece - came from my admiration for the work of an online artist friend, the artist being Zap. (See the blog post where I featured Zap in here).

I am particularly fond of how how Zap utilizes fluorescence in his work, and I wanted to experiment with fluoro colors in this piece. Not every color is fluorescent, but the ones that are offset and interact with the non fluorescent palette rather well I feel. I did not want to produce a totally fluoro piece - that is already done spectacularly by Zap himself - but am happy with my first attempt at doing so in this work.

The eight limbed image surprised me when I conceived it, as I am not as taken with Ancient Hindu art in the same way as I am with Middle Eastern art, but the conception works perfectly for each Ab to be individually presented.

The main image is the subject in a state of becoming with the essences of Heru and Set; or put another way, balancing Bawy within and thus reaching an exalted state. (There is a particularly lovely image of Bawy and a beautiful protection heka on Sardurir's blog here).

Djoser Ab detail - heads


Djoser Ab detail Atum, Shai

The central figure reveals that the process involves a mastery and understanding of principles of the heart that he presents with each arm. The hearts include as their expression:

Djoser Ab detail - Geb, Heka

Set in glorified state
Atum
Sopdet
Shai
Mastery of physicality and physical power
Geb
Mastery of creative expression and understanding through the lenses of the Kemetic
Magick
The alloy electrum

Djoser Ab detail - Sopdet, Physicality

I know I always say that the photos don't do the actual paintings I make justice, but in this case it can not be overstated. The fluorescent colours make this piece so vibrant!

Djoser Ab detail - Kemetic lense, Electrum

"Djoser Ab" is my 16th Kemetic work to date and is a companion piece to a future work - as yet untitled - which I consider the original version of the piece you see today.

Djoser Ab detail - Set in a glorified state
The title - which means "Sacred Heart" - has a deep meaning for me, as the awful schools I attended when growing up had the same name, and the concept of the sacred heart has always meant something negative for me as a result. In seeking and discovering my own sacred heart, a healing has occurred where that is no longer the case.

Djoser Ab detail - lotus


4 comments:

  1. Really intense! Gorgeous work, as always. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing! I am trying to imagine the fluoresence.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. l was originally looking for a black light to buy and take photos before l added the varnish; adding the varnish seals the paint so it becomes light fast, but means that it will no longer activate under a black light. l didn't want to wait much longer past finishing the painting to seal it with the varnish lest the already brilliant colours began to fade.

      Thanks for commenting!

      Delete