Monday, 14 January 2013

Winged Set: The Painting

I pulled an 8 hour all-nighter finishing my most recent panting, “Winged Set”, Sunday night.


Winged Set

The second of my larger works, and the biggest canvas to date, I feel that its completion ends a successful year of Kemetic art.

This angle better shows the hexagram structure that forms part of the background

The piece is 72cm x 48 cm, acrylic on canvas. 

Taken a few weeks before completion, this pic gives a good indication of the size of the canvas

Hieroglyphs detail

I composed the wording for the painting myself, and commissioned Tamara Siuda to transliterate them. The glyphs read:

Hail Set
Great of strength, God of Gods
You are majestic, beautiful and mighty
Grant me
Strength, magical power and immortality
On earth, in the sky and in the Duat


In this earlier post a clue to the genesis of the painting can be found.


I plan a website for my artwork later this year, and want to save complete descriptions and analysis of all of my paintings for then.


I feel that the photos don't quite convey the majesty of the piece, or the nuances that the metallic and other acrylics present. It is a very imposing work and dominates the room where it stands. I love this painting, and hope that it inspires great feelings in others too.

13 comments:

  1. Oh wow. O.o This is awesome! :D I've always been fascinated by the winged Set images and seeing Him rendered in that form like this...wow. I wish I could see it in person. You do fantastic work! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you.

      I plan to have an exhibition in Melbourne late this year.

      Delete
    2. I really hope your exhibition goes well...your work definitely deserves to be seen! :)

      I probably won't make it though, I'm across the pond, so to speak, so it'd be a bit of a trip I'm afraid. XD

      I wish I could, because I bet it will be really neat. :D

      Delete
  2. He came out beautifully. Bravo! Dua Set!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sure Set is pleased! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. While you may feel that the photos don't convey the full effect of the piece, I have to say, they certainly seem quite majestic to me! I can only imagine what it must be like to stand in front of this work. Thank you so much for sharing this with us.

    Where might I find more information on this particular form of Set? My initial reaction was to wonder if there was any relation to (the) Bawy. While I realize that name is generally linked to the dual-headed (falcon and sha) entity, I could see this being another way of combining important aspects of those gods, in a fashion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of the original ideas started with images contained in this post:

      http://www.setkenblog.blogspot.com.au/2012/02/winged-set.html

      I will write more about the creation of the piece soon. Meanwhile, the very original sketch for it can be seen here as I used a projector to begin the outline on the canvas:

      http://www.setkenblog.blogspot.com.au/2012_08_01_archive.html

      I am really appreciating all the comments everyone has left.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. I would love for you to see it in person Paul. The colours do amazing things that I can't seem to capture by photo.

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.