Friday, 7 December 2012

Yesterday, Today and the Future: Kemetic Re-Manifestation

A colossal statue of Anpu in one of Melbourne's main city train stations last year, promoting the Tutankhamun exhibit; this statue had "presence" and is an intriguing manifestation of Netjer today

It is part of the nature of humanity to reflect on what has gone before in order to navigate ones way forward into the future. People interested in a Kemetic path have one of the richest ancient legacies in the world to inform them, but questions still remain: what of re-manifestation today?

 
We live in a time where the Netjeru are but a memory in the lives of an ancient people long gone. Through tombs, temples and burial items we can piece together who the ancient Kemetics believed the Netjeru were, and what part they played in their lives.

 
Is there a reason why those of us interested in a Kemetic path must look back in order to move forward? Did the Netjeru themselves want Their re-manifestation in this age to be informed by antiquity, yet so far removed from it that it was not a complete regurgitation of it?

 
In looking through a Kemetic practitioner’s site yesterday I noticed that he had the negative confessions on there as part of the “law” of his practice;  I find it hard to consider admonitions for stealing temple food relevant when there are very few Kemetic temples operating in the world these days. And do we really need the “don’t lay with another man” up there to add to the hate rednecks want to perpetuate for homosexuality?


How is a new type of manifestation to occur? Is it purely through religious vehicles (Kemetic Orthodoxy and the Kemetic Temple of Ra are already assisting in this way) or is something new required?


Another blogger I follow bemoaned earlier this year how out of control “UPG”’s were getting. I agree with him as he asked, “Why bother to follow an ancient religion if you are going to make your own stuff up?”


Taking our cue from yesterday, what would the new type of manifestation of Netjer be, and what are the differences now, compared to then? Is it about finding the Netjer within, in effect taking the teaching of the ancient inner temple and bringing it to the world, but not in a religious way? My rereading of Her Bak is on my mind!


I would truly love to hear from other Kemetics and spirituals and artists on this topic. It is a matter of humanity after all, and no longer just religion.
 

 
This post is my first "Y" for the PBP 2012

8 comments:

  1. I'm not very far along on being kemetic, so please feel free to discount this comment if you so choose, but I think if we're going to move forward, we have to have a point where looking back isn't an option so much as it is currently.

    For example, the decliration you mention about not laying with another man? Maybe it did mean that once before, but now, maybe it could mean 'don't cheat with anyone' after all, we as a race are often called 'Man'kind arn't we? 'man' could mean man as in male, or man as in a human being, no matter the gender. I guess that's all in how you choose to read it.

    I think the past needs to be kept in mind, learned from, but we also need to take cues from the present. Maybe the Gods changed wit hthe times as they watched their followers wink out and then return? We wouldn't have anything 'ancient' if they did decide to switch things up a bit. I mean just look at the long line of changes in their history alone, Osiris went from God of Grains/plants to Lord of the Dead because one particular myth got changed and got popular, it dosen't mean he isn't lord of the dead for those who believe it, but maybe he's a different kind now, and how would anyone know that if not for UPG? Yes it's getting crazy, but maybe thats because Gods, like the times, are changing?

    Just some thoughts, take from them what you will. Peaceness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This kind of interaction is precisely why I wrote this post in the way that I did! Thanks for the reply.

      My only point of challenge is this: do the Netjeu change? Are they not timeless, limitless, unaffected by the seasons and the world as humans are? If they do change, does this mean that they are somehow subject to the same laws as we are?

      Delete
  2. A very good post. There has to be room for new inspiration, but that inspiration needs a good foundation of thorough knowledge of what the ancients did. Both reason and passion need to be involved. There has to be an evolution in understanding what behaviors bring about Ma'at. The way the world has changed demands this, with so many people and their demands on the environment. Romantic involvement that doesn't result in children can be kinder to a world already so overburdened with billions of people. (Not to make people with children feel guilty, just that this should be a well thought out choice.) Balance and new understanding will come, and we can help it come into being.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is the evolution that you mention that intrigues me the most. I wonder how this will occur . . . . Are we "doing" it right now?

      Delete
  3. Here's my response: http://kemeticrecon.com/setken-yesterday-today-and-the-future-kemetic-re-manifestation/

    Maybe the Netjeru aren't subject to the same laws we are, but they are definitely subject to some sort of laws. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the “where are we going?” question is a fine articulation of what it is I am looking for here. I have been toying around with doing a book featuring people that are doing *something* (Kemetically speaking) to see what I end up with and what forms. Rather than be focused on the end point, perhaps look at what is manifesting as is?

    I definitely get Serqet with the contraction thing: when scorpions breathe it is very pronounced. A good call thinking of her for help with asthma too.

    In regard to the Netjeru changing, I have evolved my thinking around it since I answered the first post above. Maybe we perceive them as changing because that is our perspective in space and time? Perhaps they project aspects of Themselves that appear to us as change?

    For example. I have 4 different Set icons. One is in the shrine, another sits on my altar, another I wear (it is the pendant I featured here http://www.setkenblog.blogspot.com.au/2011/10/kemetic-bling-evolution-of-my-set.html )and another sits on my plinth (http://www.setkenblog.blogspot.com.au/2012/01/plinth.html ).
    These are all Set. Each is built differently, looks different to the other, but unmistakeably *are* Set and carry His energy. One might say that He changes as I move from shrine, to plinth to altar. But He does not. It is me moving about to those locations and observing His various forms. Does that make sense?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I believe that you need to know your past to understand your present and future. I personally love reading about the ancient ways and all the mystery surrounding ancient Egypt, but I don't think it is necessary to develop a relationship with the Netjeru. I do not use any of the rituals and still feel a strong presence of Ra and Thoth and sometimes Isis. I think a strong belief is all that is needed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How we understand / relate to / include Netjer in our lives is individual. The "re-manifestation" is characterised with these individual (and group) approaches, and I think that is part of how it is meant to be in this age.

    ReplyDelete