Friday, 5 October 2012

Shoshenq II


The burial mask of King Shoshenq II
 
Shoshenq II was one of 5 (potentially 6) kings during Egypt’s 21st and 22nd Dynastic period (the third intermediate period) that took that name.
 

Many kings of the period had unusual sounding names as they were descended from Libyan tribes. His prenomen was Heqakheperre Setepenre, meaning "The Manifestation of Re rules, Chosen of Re”. It appears that he died in his fifties of a septic wound to the head. It is likely that his tomb was a reburial, as his remains and funerary objects were found within the burial complex of Psusennes I.
 

A side profile of the burial mask
 
I first became aware of this pharaoh when I was hired to work in the gift shop of a touring exhibition of Kemetic artifacts called “Gold Of The Pharaohs”. The exhibition centered on mainly third intermediate kings and a general whose tombs were discovered in Tanis by Pierre Montet.

 
The find was every bit as spectacular as the earlier one of Tutankhamen, but the announcement of the world war eclipsed the discovery, and Montet did not seem to enjoy the same celebrity as Carter and Carnarvon had.
 


I have featured this in a previous post - worth featuring again. Breathtaking.


The exhibition featured a massive photograph as part of the display of the Sokar coffin that the king was buried in – it was originally part of the exhibit that traveled the world but did not make it to Australia. It was my goal in life to see this coffin first hand – as it is my all time favorite Kemetic object.
 
I only recently came across this exquisite piece, having thought I had seen all of the treasure from Shoshenq's burial
 
Whilst King Shoshenq has no claim to fame in Kemetic history that makes him my hero, I absolutely adore his taste in jewellery. The king knew his bling. I intend to fashion my own jewellery in years to come based on and influenced by the sheer magick of the items found in this pharaohs burial. (We know Setken loves his bling: look at this).

 
A pectoral featuring Khepera and two uraei, possibly representing Nekhbet

 Did I make my goal to seeing the silver Sokar coffin for real? Yes. In 2010 when I visited Cairo I got to see it and it was breathtaking!

 
This coffin that honours the Netjer Sokar is my most loved piece of Kemetic art ever I think; this is where King Shoshenq was laid to rest

For more details about research into Shoshenq II’s role amongst the rulers of the third intermediate period, see this Wiki article.





2 comments:

  1. Very beautiful pieces, indeed!It's so cool that you got to see them in person.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The only two not featured in "Gold Of the Pharaohs" or the Cairo Museum were the mask (although the mask of General Wendjebaundjed is comparable) and the Maat / Amun pendant. I am hoping that I do get to see them for real.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.