Friday, 19 October 2012

Khepera

The sixth (of seven) in my Netjer portrait series.




This painting proved to be one of my most challenging to date owing to the symmetry required for its execution.


I have made some unusual colour choices here, and unfortunately the photographed version of the portrait does not reveal some of the intricacies inherent to the piece. For example, in standing a little ways away from the picture the wig takes on an electric hue, and the interference blue that I used in the black outline of the beetle shell interplays with it.


The antique blue that I have used for the main colouring of the shell was inspired by that colour wig from a beautiful tomb painting of Khepera. The colour was so “Him”, that I wanted to feature it somewhere of prominence in the portrait.

 
The background colour came as a result of a meditation on the portrait as I could not decide which one to use.


Am particularly happy with the colour of the electrum collar, which I have put to use in another painting that I am currently working on also.

5 comments:

  1. Yep that's another great image! I agree that deep blue for the beetle shell is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks - this was such a great comment to come home today!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay for the uplifting magic of post comments!!!

      Delete
  3. Another very attractive image, nicely combining a modern feel with the ancient. I like the glow all around Khepera, too.

    ReplyDelete