Sunday, 9 September 2012

Presents

I finally bought home from interstate the present I got given for Xmas last year: a set of Franklin Mint Egyptian interpretations.

I am not always keen on Kemetic interpretations, but some of these are done well. More, they have inspired my own artistic life with a painting I had already conceived where I may use the dome on pedastal theme for depicting Netjer.

I am also interested in using these to help develop some ideas I am toying with for creating Kemetic jewellery.


My sister had this printed so that it was the first thing I saw when I opened the box: of course then I knew it was going to be Egyptian stuff - this is Howard Cater's famous remark to Lord Carnarvon after peering through the hole in the tomb door to Tutankamun's tomb








 
This is my second "P" post for the 2012 PBP
 

4 comments:

  1. Very attractive! Are they metal? I found via Ebay a lovely brass? Tut mask produced by the Metropolitan museum during the 70s, which has nice detail. They don't make them like that anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And I believe that Franklin Mint stopped this line sometime ago too.

    They appear to be a coated resin - I think the gold has some genuine gold in the paint. I am not entriley sure that the heiroglyphs are sentences, but decoration. Except for one of the cartouches containing a name of Tutankamon.

    They are not weighty to hold, and feel a little plastic like.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Simply lovely! I've seen some from the same line of Bes and other "obscure" (to us Moderns, anyway) deities depicted in the artifacts from the Tutankhamun hoard. The Ra-Heruakhty one I think is the most handsome of them.

    I'm not a fan of the "nonsense hieroglyphs" around the bases, but, that's a hard thing to avoid with Modern Egyptian statuary. Only the AGI statues are free from it, really. At least, of the reproduction statuary I remember having seen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the comment! Ra Heruakhty is also my favourite from this collection.

    I am not familiar with AGI - what is it?

    ReplyDelete