Thursday, 23 August 2012

O is for Oracle


My second “O” post for the Pagan Blog Project is about card decks and tiles used for cartomancy.

I have used varying oracles over the years, mostly gravitating to and sticking with Kemetic themed ones.

I had a stint reading professionally for a while, which was very interesting, but it was some time ago.

I tend to use the oracles less these days, as I find that my focus is on the present. Unless I get a specific “vibe” to connect with Netjer through the Book Of Doors, I usually only consult when looking for a solution that is not yet apparent.

The 4 oracles that I write about in this post reflect the ones that have had most influence and meaning in my life over time. (I have not included the most recent addition to my set of oracles which is the Shamanic Mysteries of Egypt deck).


The way of cartouche

A 25 deck card oracle by Murry Hope

My first ever deck. I was inspired to get these through a dream, where I was consulting “Egyptian” runes. When I asked for same at the bookshop, they suggested “Way Of Cartouche”. The 25 cards have a correspondence to the 25 runes.

I read these cards professionally at a place in Brisbane called the Gemini Tea Rooms. Brisbane in the 80’s was a strange place, and I arrived to live there during a time of the city transitioning from a corrupt and draconian government to something else. What was curious was that all throughout the city and some of the ‘burbs were these little coffee shops - “tea rooms” - that served tea and scones and included short card readings in the price. It was a strange, yet charming in many ways, culture.

Readers of my blog may recall that earlier this year (in my “C”post for the PBP)  that I mentioned there was a cartomancy connection with my UFO encounter. When I arrived in Brisbane and found my way to the Gemini Tea rooms I went as a customer. A reader there, Shirley, through oracular sight, saw that I read cards and said that I needed to speak with the owners about working there, which she arranged after the reading. She also foretold of the pending trip – just a few days later – to the countryside where the encounter would happen. For this reason, I connect “The Way Of Cartouche” with my “UFO” encounter.

I got good at reading the cards and developed a little following but quickly got to see it could burn me out, and never pursued the craft professionally after that time.

I hold affection for The Way Of Cartouche for the reasons mentioned above, but I feel that my understanding of the Kemetic principles and Netjeru represented here have surpassed what this deck is for and is. It was my introduction; I think this is a good way to put it.

 
 

Eyes Of Horus

A tile oracle by David Lawson

This set also numbers 25 and contains clay tiles with hieroglyphs (most tiles) and representations (Set, Heket, Pyramids, Sphinx and Apis) that are accurate reflections of Kemetic principles. The images representing the Netjeru and concepts of each tile have some cool interpretations too.

I worked with this set a lot during a major transition of my life and found it to be good.

 

 
 
Book of doors

A 65 card deck oracle by Athon Veggi and Alison Davidson

This is the Kemetic deck, and features an array of Netjeru not often reflected upon, as well as beautifully rendered modern interpretations of Kemetic themes and Netjeru. I am certain that working with this deck for years has inspired me to paint my own images of the Netjeru.

This deck is so special because it can grant access to the realms of the Netjeru themselves. There are only a few cards that do not represent Netjeru ( Kemt, Shen Ur, Imhotep, Aner En Rekh, Pert Em Heru, Unu T 4 – 5, Amenta, Shemu 42, Bennu) which means that you are working with the energy of the Divine Ones Themselves primarily! No wonder I fell in love with this deck. It also features a Netjer that was introduced into the Kemetic pantheon from elsewhere: Asthoreth.

The deck also works with magic squares and the book features references that show the creators really knew their stuff in knowing how to pull this together. I question some of the groupings (each card is grouped into a set of 8, meaning there is one card sitting outside the deck, Netjer Netjeru) but would be hard pressed myself to configure this deck otherwise so eloquently myself.

I bought this deck around the same time as I began the LionPath

My previous blog post also featured The Book Of Doors.

 


The Egyptian Oracle

A 28 tile set with a double sided placement board by Maya Heath

In my head I have this set dubbed “the oracle that does not lie”. It isn’t that the others are untruthful, but this oracle somehow cuts to the quick. I think this is because of the many intricate concepts that the tiles entertain. “Modern” concepts are tied to the ancient that give an uncanny reading when done properly. The modernising of the oracle does not take away from the inherent truths it posesses.

I used to use it in conjunction with the 12 houses (like astrology) side of the board, but gradually moved away from the board entirely and use the tiles alone.
 

Some of the graphics featured in the manual are brilliant

The tiles feature glyphs and the Kemetic numbering system on each. I like the directness of the tiles themselves.






2 comments:

  1. Today I was rummaging through a used book store in Brisbane and found a copy of The Way of The Cartouche but sadly it was without the deck. Are there any good oracle decks I could apply as a substitute or is it more or less a one off?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You could try working the Cartouche concept with a set of Runes - as mentioned, the 25 cards have a correspondence to the 25 Rune stones.

    There are other decks out there, but the ones I have listed here are the ones I have personally used. The Book Of Doors would be my best recommendation to you if you want to use cards in a Kemetic context.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.