Saturday, 7 April 2012

Gratitude



This post is about a recent practice that I have begun.


Every morning and every evening (theoretically) I write on a piece of notepaper what I am grateful for. Most days it is grand, universal and epic stuff, and others I write about smaller, personal things unique to me.


The practice has a twofold effect: it makes me stop and think about all the things I take for granted and really feel appreciation for them, and it also helps to raise my frequency to a higher vibe where I am appreciating and loving, more than, well, bitchin’ and hatin’.


I could get all the paper notes that contain each gratitude offering off of the Plinth where I currently rest them and tell you all the things that I am grateful for; but I would rather that you think about all the things that you are grateful for in your own life, and how gratitude might affect your devotional or magickal (or both) practices.

This post is my first “G” submission for the Pagan Blog Project.

1 comment:

  1. I find that this is one of the best "spiritual exercises" a person can engage in. Emphasis on the positives lays the groundwork for a more affirmative life. Fixating on the negatives means letting oneself succumb to recurring thought, depression, and stagnant living. In many ways, simply how we think dictates the nature of our realities. A lot of Social Workers and other professionals in the field of Psych and Social Work sometimes advise their patients to keep "gratitude journals." While some dismiss it as too "New Age-y" and "touchy-feely," the benefits are pretty noticeable, in terms of how fast and soundly patients cope and heal during their recovery process.

    Both in good times and bad, it is essential to remind ourselves of what the Gods blessed us with, and to work with what They gave us. Often the answers to our prayers are right in front of us. The Gods already gave us the tools to realize our potential. We only have to realize what they are, and how to best use them.

    I also think it is important to let the Gods know that we don't spurn Their gifts; why should They grant us any boon if we don't even thank Them for it?

    I'm glad you took the time to write this entry. Hopefully more people will be inspired to engage themselves in similar personal exercises. Graciousness is one of the key attributes that helps make any person become a better and stronger person. :3

    ReplyDelete