Friday, 27 January 2012

Birds

Many Kemetic themes include various avian hieroglyphs, Gods, and concepts, especially concepts relating to the soul.



I have chosen my second “B” word as birds for this reason; but also I have found that as I have been contemplating and working with magick, I am seeing an abundance of crows and ravens everywhere I go. And when I do not see them, I hear them calling out. Fitting, as these birds are indeed associated with bringing magick.





Birds are associated with mystical concepts because they can fly. They get to be both earth and sky bound. Humans are not so fortunate. And we depict winged beings and have visions of bird shamans as a means of trying to connect with our loftier, spiritual selves I think.


A winged physique; this is actually me (the wings are transposed of course!)

The Ancient Egyptians had quite a birdy repertoire in their hieroglyphic system.







Netjeru associated with birds

The falcon Netjer, Heru, was one of the first Netjeru that entered my life at an early age. Heru can be represented as a falcon or a falcon headed man. Heru is one of many falcon headed Netjeru that include Heru-Wer and Heru-Behdety, the winged disk. Lord Khonsu is sometimes depicted as falcon headed also.


A beautiful sculpture of Heru with King Horemheb



Winged Disks and Heru-in-Sopdu (= Sopdu = Sokar) played a role in the process I underwent in the late 90’s called The Lion Path. After one session the next day, I strolled out of my lodging to find a falcon flying overhead (not so common in South Australia where I grew up).






The mysteries associated with Sokar and this Divine Netjer Himself are among the most fascinating of my beloved Kemetic life.





Djehuty – the ibis-headed Netjer is associated with writing and so I thought he’d be a big part of my Kemetic “line-up”. He is present, but not in the front lines.





Same with the vulture Netjer Nekhbet – although I have sensed her at times and I do feel that there is much more for us all to learn about the vulture cult in Ancient Egypt. I am also fascinated by how big a role vultures play in Zoroastrianism.


I love this image of Nekhbet




Concepts of the soul associated with birds

The Akh was written with the glyph of the crested ibis, and the jabiru represented the Ba (also represented by a human headed bird). Just why these birds were chosen for these elements of the soul I am still learning.


This FIMO glyph of the akh is mine! I love that when you Google "Akh hieroglyph" this comes up in the images!



My research into Soul Anatomy to date is too incomplete and complex for me to articulate here right now. But essentially, Akh represents a glorified part of the soul when other “lower” parts have been reunited or fused. The Ba is the part of the soul that is higher self like, but still very subject to the trappings and gloss of life.


No comments:

Post a Comment