Sunday, 22 January 2012

Aromatherapy

My first A submission for the Pagan Blog Project 2012 is how using scents gets me into a trance for when I do my Kemetic rituals (principally the Senut).  It is also about how I use essential oils to alter my mood generally.


I worked out some time ago that frankincense and myrrh “did it” for me as far as my favourite scents went. It is a wonder, because they used frankincense in special ceremonies when I was a kid growing up in the Catholic church – and as I did a complete rejection of the former in my late teens and have never looked back  . . . well. Luckily I did not associate it with said times as it truly is a magickal flavour that “sends” me.



My little collection of essential oils and burning stones



How do I activate the smells?

I primarily use a diffuser, but also put some undiluted forms in my nostrils and on my skin.

I burn rocks on charcoal pellets for Senut.


My diffuser


Netjer and the scents

I have been exploring if various Netjeru are associated with various scents.

I am certain that Set is myrrh, and that Heru is frankincense. I am very keen to find a scent of Maat and suspect that Sage or Clary Sage is close. The Wepwawet wiki has its own ideas too, and lists “acceptable” scent offerings for various Netjeru.


Other scents that I like and use

I use rose and sometimes rosewood when I need to be feeling some love.

Pine is another entrancing scent for me, and I am increasingly getting to associate this flavour with Sokar.

I will use orange, lemon and lime (not together!) in my work space area if I need active, strong scents to pick up the mood or inspire action.

Juniper and Sandalwood are a staple in my Shrine Room – this combo seems to be the flavour of my Shrine Room and meditation space. I wonder if that will change as I start administering more magick in there?

I use chamomile when I need to clam down, and lavender when I need to relax and go to sleep.

New scents for me are ylang ylang and clary sage.



Do any of you use specific flavours when communing with the Netjeru? And to the witchies that are tuning in, what do you like to use for your magickal workings?



2 comments:

  1. I find that the oils I use as incense during senut are very God-specific, rather than the traditional Frankincense, Myrrh, and Kapet.

    For instance, when addressing Sobek, I burn (or offer, as you like) Atlas Cedar oil, eucalyptus, lavender, and/or rosemary. Strong but relaxing scents. I think it evinces His unique qualities as a War God, a River God, and a God of Healing. My interaction/relationship/whatever one wants to call it with Sobek is "different" than what I initially expected, in that His is a very soothing salve of a presence for me. I don't get "Rager" and "Destroyer" vibes from Him, though when I articulate Heka, I often appeal to that aspect of Him. Rather, I perceive His creative, restorative qualities before anything else. My fragrance offerings to Sobek reflect that. Additionally, when I've had dreams of Sobek, He was preceded by a very uplifting, fresh, minty-and-sprucey-but-citrus-y scent.

    With Set, I offer clove almost exclusively. It has a warming, masculine, exotic flavor to it. I've had at least one nighttime dream that I can remember wherein Sutekh demanded offerings of clove. I wear clove oil as a perfume, partly for that reason, and partly because it's one of the most "huffable" scents in the world, haha. I've offered clove oil as incense during senut, as well as whole, raw clove in hot mulled cider, with orange peels and sticks of cinnamon. Foreign trade being one of Set's historical "departments," offerings of spices such as cinnamon and clove, I find, tend to go over quite well.

    Dimitri Meeks talks about the relationship of Gods and scent in "Daily Life of the Egyptian Gods" in adequate detail, from an academic and mythological perspective. Every God has a particular scent, which is an intrinsic aspect of His/Her identity -- just as all His/Her names are vital aspects of His/Her being. It's partly how They announce Their presence. I'm not sure if it translates differently among Themselves than it does between Them and us. Who can say? But, at least from my understanding, the Gods of Kemet place a unique emphasis on scent.

    Also, I'm fairly certain that lavender (especially in conjunction with vanilla!) is the universal sleepy-time aroma. Knocks me right out, that's for sure. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great reply! I will be sure to check out some of the scents you refer to and also the Meeks book! Appreciate!

    ReplyDelete